CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Moving Musings

Yesterday I went to down to Roseburg where all my stuff is in storage. I need to start going through it all and sell a good chunk of it. This is phase one of three or four in moving to Ketchikan. Moving to Oregon involved one phase. Load the UHaul truck and go. For this move I have to go through all my stuff and downsize. Then I have to sell it to get money to re-buy things up in Ketchikan (it is so expensive to move there, it is better to dowsize and re-buy things). Then I load what is left and drive it to Seattle and load it on a container

to ship it. Then a week later I load myself, dog and a couple friends to drive through the canadian wilderness

to Prince Rupert BC to hop a ferry

for a 6 or 7 hour ferry ride to Ketchikan.
I think that is why they call it the great Alaskan adventure.
So like I said. I am in phase one.
Sorting, selling and repacking.
It is kind of a mess. Only really good friends let you do this to them...


since I don't live in Roseburg anymore, but all my stuff is there, I have to rely on great friends who let me come in like a tornado and do all the sorting and repacking.
As we were going through all the stuff, it was a bit surreal. Even though I am not very sentimental it was interesting how many memories are attached to stuff. Cookie cutters bring up the Christmas I made cookies with some of my kids, a crock pot made me think of my Grandma, an IKEA cheese grater made me think of my friend Erin, a mixing bowl made me think of my dad, etc. etc.
Yet in it all I had a gracious attitude of disconnect. I really feel God releasing me from stuff and the process not being that difficult.
On the drive back to Portland I was thinking about how I won't have very many more long road trips anymore (Ketchikan has only about 32 miles of roads and since it is on an island...well you get the picture), that combined with getting rid of stuff, I admit I had a teary moment. I was listening to Caedmon's Call and the song I Surrender started playing.

All to Jesus, I surrender
All to Him I freely give
I will ever, love and trust Him
In His presence daily live

All to Jesus, I surrender
Humbly at His feet I bow
Worldly treasures all forsaken
Take me Jesus, take me now,

When I lie in anguish
On the strong attack
And I lay my burdens
On my Saviors back
I surrender, I surrender all,

I surrender all,
I surrender all
all to Thee my precious Lord
I surrender all

It was beautiful. God stepped into my "moment" and made it His moment. Even though the words are about surrender and giving up which sounds like a harsh God moment, it was a beautiful reminder of the life that God wants me to live with Him. It was more of an invitation filled with anticipation and delight. Sure, I was still crying like a baby, but it felt so right. Like the Spirit was calling out in my spirit the life I want - the life I long for - and the answer is in surrender. It is hard, but so beautiful and wonderful at the same time. I felt God echoing the words He whispered to me when I first told Him I didn't think I could go to Ketchikan - I will be with you.

1 comments:

EmaleDad said...

I'm glad we gave you that CD - maybe it was for that moment - cool how God works!
How much for the drums?