The week after camp is usually a quiet one. I can catch up on sleep, laundry and just collect myself. Not so this week! It has been full of meetings and activity! It has been a week since I got home and today, I officially ran out of silverware (a first for me!) because I haven't even had time to do dishes!
It started with a meeting with my neighbor. He informed me on the morning I left for camp that his wife suddenly passed away and he asked me to do the service. Of course I said sure and then later, thought about what I had agreed to. But it was too late to change my mind! So this morning I officiated my first funeral all by myself. I got up, not feeling nervous at all, until I saw a bunch of sad faces that I didn't know staring back at me, their eyes conveying a question that I couldn't answer. It was really a beautiful moment because it is the one precious time, that no matter what people think about God, you can freely share about the hope we have in Him and they almost like to hear it! I didn't say anything profound, but I realize that it is a sacred moment that we have no idea the lasting impact it could have! God works in mysterious ways for sure.
Earlier this week I had the opportunity to host Monroe, Myron's brother. We did a puppy swap at our meeting this week. So for three days I got to have a smaller, sweeter, cuddlier, and wussier version of my dog. He is a great dog too, but he didn't do so well at work. You'd think someone was abusing him the way he carried on in his kennel. It was hard giving up Myron for a few days. We had a very wet hello as he kissed me profusely in happiness. We agreed that Myron is more peppy and spunky. He is well on his way to being a great guide dog. But for now, I'm just glad he is back with me!
On Thursday I went to my first Special Olympics event. I was able to compete with some of the athletes in Bocce Ball. They are actually very good. It was a fun community event and I was able to cheer on one of my sweet kids - Jessie!
I also...
(drum roll please)
...went on my first date this week! Yay!
And it was a blind date! Two firsts in one! We were set up by my friend Kristina.
Unfortunately that is about as exciting as it gets. We met for a late night dessert, which he paid for, way to go Nate! We talked some about our stories and how we ended up where we are. He is a helicopter pilot currently fighting forest fires. Then we had a big discussion about Calvinism and Wesleyanism, which he started. Not great first date conversation, but oh well. I am a easy going person and can converse on about anything. We ended cordially but I don't think he will call again, (I'm OK if he doesn't) but who knows?
Now I'm off to a wedding and then home to finally get after those dishes...
Saturday, July 26, 2008
A Week of Firsts
Posted by Rhonda Wynegar at 12:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So I'm commenting to let you know that I read this! The second time I checked it today. Yup I'm a nerd with not enough to do. Oh wait, no I'm just a huge procrastinator. You neglected to tell me you had a first date coming up when we talked last. I hope that was because you didn't know at the time, not because you were trying to keep me in the dark :o)
Funeral, a Date and a Wedding.
Wow - Unique order!
I don't recall getting permission from him to date my daughter. Oh well, let go and let God!
Sounds like you're safe with Myron.
Let us know if next week is boring!
good times for you! I'm excited to call and hear about the funeral...that doesn't sound quite right, anyway. back from camp. call you soon!
Post a Comment