So often we girls joke (and are serious as well) about the curse of emotions.
I was driving home yesterday from Portland and had some quality time to process a bunch of things that are going on in life. And, without fail, the emotions kicked in and I felt out of control. I know what the right responses are to most things in life. God loves us, He is in control, He knows what is best, we are to put Him first, it is not about us, etc. I wish I could just accept it and move on. I mean, I know in my head it is true, but the emotions kick in and I wrestle with myself and go back and forth. It feels like war in my head sometimes. I was really disliking what I was feeling and that just makes it worse! Sometimes I just want to give in to it and feel justified in my feelings.
This storm went on for a good two hours. Towards the close of the drive as I was all cried out, I found myself thinking that maybe there is something worthwhile to my emotional roller coasters. While I hate it, it does take me to a place of wrestling with God stuff: my attitude, perspective, and the like. If I were to just be OK all the time, I would not process on a deeper level and maybe my faith would be more shallow. I felt like God was reassuring me that my emotional tirades can be good and profitable and maybe even beautiful.
At the end of the ride I found myself contemplating all this and realizing that my emotions help me realize that without the stability of God and His grace through everything I would completely be crazy. So this made me actually thankful for my crazy emotions. While I still don't like it and maybe never will, they do bring me deeper in processing my life and always realizing my desperate need for God. And that is beautiful.
Friday, August 29, 2008
The beauty of wrestling with emotions
Posted by Rhonda Wynegar at 10:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
wish I had been available to help process it all. love you and good words!
Those times alone with God are when He can speak with His still small voice and help us with our priorities and attitudes. Yes, they can seem like wrestling, and He is just sharpening us as He draws us closer to Him. Praise God He pulls us through the tough times so we can more easily sail through the "easy" times.
Post a Comment