CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Tour Around K-Town

I woke up this morning to beautiful clear skies. I decided to go exploring and get some shots in my new town. We start heading north on the Tongass Highway (or so it is called. It is a two-lane road that is quite curvy and is all 30-45mph). Rounding the corner we get the first view of Ketchikan from the Saxman area.

Also in this area is where we turn to go to Fawn Mountain Elementary School where we meet for church.

It is a new school with a great view!

Less than a block down the hill, with the same great view, is the piece of land the church has purchased that we hope to start building on in the next year. The lovely old U-Haul truck is ours that holds all the chairs that we set up every week in the gym of the school. Good times!

At the bottom of the hill is a great piece of land for sale! If anyone wants to help me buy it - let me know! I will let you vacation here for free :) Unfortunately, it cost more than the land and house that I sold in Roseburg. Oh well. I can dream right?

A few more miles closer to Ketchikan with the Coast Guard station in the foreground.

On the way in we also pass Pennock Island. People who live on Pennock have to have a skiff or a boat to get to town.


Next we come to downtown Ketchikan - this is a pic not too far from my new apartment looking south.

From the same spot if you look to the east you get a shot of Deer Mountain and the Bear Valley area. The pointed top mountain is Deer Mountain - apparently there is a trail that you can hike to the top.


Another view of Deer Mountain with south Ketchikan in the foreground

Finally a couple views of north Ketchikan from the Rainbird trail. The water is actually ocean called the Narrows where all the ferries and cruise ships go through. The land behind is Gravina Island where the airport is located.


So much more to explore, but I had to get home to keep working on a paper.

2 comments:

EmaleDad said...

Absolutely gorgeous! We have an awesome Creator!! I'm sure that blue skies are good therapy.

RaeQ said...

wow! your new home looks like it is full of so much adventure! I can imagine you are full of ideas and fun things to do when the weather "warms" up. Good luck on your paper. ;o)