So for Thanksgiving this year, I decided to visit friends on a neighboring Alaskan island called the Prince of Wales. I packed and loaded up Myron and headed to the ferry terminal for the three hour ride to the island. Myron got to enjoy the trip from his kennel in the car deck-
I have to go up top and enjoy the view-'
It was so great to connect with good friends. I met Steve and Myrn McCord in Roseburg. We sent them out to be pastor/missionaries to the community of Naukati, AK. It is a small community of about 75 people. It is extremely isolated and unlike most places in the US. It is always an adventure going to the island.
For Thanksgiving we went to the community "soup night." It is an outreach that they do for the community every Thursday. Anyone in the community can come and enjoy a meal and fellowship. I got to meet some new people - it was a great time.
On the day after Thanksgiving we packed in a day in the life on the island - or so I like to call it.
We went to a saw mill to get lumber for a building project. There are no Lowes or Home Depot here where you can just go load up your truck. You go to someone who has trees that they bring over to a saw mill and cut on site your order. It was really cool, I have to admit. Those blades where huge, so precise and loud!
We went to Thorne Bay which is an hour and a half drive to the other side of the island. It is a charming little town on a bay.
We went to the local store and we were able to do Christmas shopping! It was exciting as this store is bigger than the one in Naukati! They had two whole tables of Christmas stuff.
I had to take a picture of the airport which is also the gas station and the post office-
This is the dock you deplane on. As you can see only float planes land here! Someday I will fly in here.
After the sun set we went out shrimping as that is when the shrimp come out. We set out pots and a while later pull them up.
We were not so lucky as to catch a one. Oh well.
Can't say I am a fan of shrimp, but it would have been fun to catch one. Apparently their eyes glow at you when you shine a light in the water.
Then we had a seafood fest. I need to try a bunch of stuff, since seafood is quite plentiful as we are surrounded by ocean. So we had crab cakes, halibut, salmon, clam strips, shrimp, and beach asparagus. Halibut and clam strips are pretty good, salmon and crab cakes are ok and shrimp and beach asparagus are not my favorite.
Prince of Wales is not your normal place. It is a place of adventure and living life that is not the norm. It causes you to think outside the box, think creatively, forget life outside the island, see people in a new way and be extremely grateful for the simple things that we take for granted. Good lessons to learn over a Thanksgiving holiday for sure!
Monday, November 30, 2009
The Thanksgiving Adventure
Posted by Rhonda Wynegar at 1:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Looks beautiful and exciting and crazy all at once! I'm so proud of you for eating seafood. Miracles do happen!
It is great to read your updates, Rhonda! Love the pics and hearing about your adventures. It must be a whole different way of life. Love you!
We do have much to be thankful for and take too much for granted. Glad you had a chance to be with friends.
ugh! this is why you adventurous girls are sent north and this chick stays home where beef and venison are plentiful! i can not do seafood. but i love your positive attitude:)
Post a Comment